Skip to main content

Why Hogwarts Will Always Be My Home

In every generation, there is a chosen one...wait, that’s the opening sequence of Buffy. What I mean is, everyone, no matter what generation they’re from, has (at least) that one thing that changed their lives. It might be a movie, like The Sound of Music, Star Wars, or Casablanca. It might be a show, like I Love Lucy, Cheers, or--well, Buffy. It might be a comic, or a song, or a particular musical artist. For me, it was a book - or rather, a series of books - that was released 20 years ago today.

I’d heard everyone talking about how good Harry Potter was, but I was a little late to the party - the first book was released when I was 8, but it wasn’t until age 11 (roughly the same age as the characters I was reading about) that I finally started the series. At the time, of course, I had no idea the effect it would have on my life, or the dark times ahead that it would help me get through. All I knew was that it was magical, and though I also knew that sort of magic existed only in the imagination, the wizarding world created by JK Rowling felt (and still feels) completely real to me.

One of the things I love about Harry Potter is that it’s not about the magic. To the casual observer, it might seem otherwise, but those of us who have immersed ourselves in its pages know that it’s a truly universal tale - one of friendship, bravery, knowledge, loyalty, and the power of love over hate. Summing up everything it’s taught me and explaining my love for the characters and the series as a whole would take far longer than a mere essay’s worth of writing, so I’ll stick to the main points.

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.” All too often, we can become wrapped up in the past, wishing for what might have been or what could be, and forgetting what is. Harry Potter taught me to live in the present, and to not let myself be held back by the past, but rather, to grow from it.

“Always use the proper name for things. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself.” Harry Potter taught me that confronting fear is the best step toward defeating it.

“...to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever. It is in your very skin.” This one didn’t really hit me until a few years after originally reading it, after we lost my dad. Rereading this line, even to this day, gives me comfort, because I know how true it is. After all, “Do you think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and shows himself most plainly when you have need of him.”

“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” You can be the most naturally gifted person on the planet at any particular thing, but talent =/= goodness. Harry Potter taught me to choose wisely, because each choice we make helps define who we become.

My dad loved the world of Harry Potter as much as I did, and even now, reading the books and watching the movies helps me feel connected to him. Many of the things I’ve learned from Harry Potter were also instilled in me by my dad, and though losing him was the hardest thing I’ve ever faced, this series was one of the things that helped me through it. For these reasons and many, many more, I want to thank JK Rowling. Thank you for creating such a magical world. Thank you for making the darkness brighter. Thank you for showing me that girls can do anything. Thank you for connecting me not only to my dad, but to so many other people around the world with whom I share a love for this series. Thank you for Harry Potter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Lost Doesn't Belong on Your "Worst Finales Ever" Lists

There are a lot of reasons to love Lost - strong characters with interesting arcs, great writing and acting - I could write entire essays (and I have) about how fantastic it is. Unfortunately, there is (STILL) a large group of people who seem to think that the 2010 finale of the series was less than superb. Those people are wrong. Now, I have been let down by many a show in my day ( Desperate Housewives and How I Met Your Mother, I’m looking at you). This has made me highly critical of the things I love because I expect greatness from them. Many shows fall short, but Lost delivered greatness in its finale. The main hangup I’ve seen is that the finale didn’t answer all the little, lingering questions the audience had. No, it didn’t. Here’s the thing, though: THAT’S THE POINT. Lost is a show about life , and in life, you don’t always get all the answers. The finale (and the show as a whole) is about the big picture . Jack Shephard spent most of the series trying to fix ever

A Cinderella-ish Christmas

So today we watched A Cinderella Christmas , and it made me think and feel a lot of things. I might just have ridiculously high standards based on my deep and undying love for all things Disney and fairy-tale-related...who are we kidding, that's totally the case. Nevertheless, this movie was a mix of things, both fine and...not so much. It starts off pretty predictably, with Angie being bossed around and harassed by her awful cousin Candace, clearly the "evil stepsister" in this story. Angie works with Candace and wants to break out on her own, but she's too afraid. Then there's Nikolaus, the obvious Prince Charming, heir to a grand inheritance. He's famous for some reason, but I can't remember why. He also wants to be "free", but his mumsy tells him he's got some growing up to do, and UH OH, he can’t have his inheritance until he gets married. Because I guess that’s the only way to show you’re a mature human being or something. The

29 Pieces of Advice I've Learned Over 29 Years

1. Do things that scare you. I don’t mean jumping out of planes or going deep sea scuba diving (unless you really want to), I just mean that trying something you’re afraid of can actually wind up being very fulfilling - and often times, far less scary than you thought it was. 2. Being kind is SO important. It’s probably the most important thing there is. It’s very simple and makes a HUGE difference. 3. People don’t fit into neat little boxes - don’t put them there. You don’t know someone’s story just because you know a few superficial details about them. 4. It’s really easy to let the day-to-day frustrations get to you. Don’t let them get to you. I know, it’s much easier said than done, and I’m not sure it’s possible for anyone to ever be perfect at this, but doing your best to look at the big picture can really help keep you grounded when things aren’t going your way in the short term. 5. What’s right for you may not be right for someone else, and that’s okay. 6. Read books th